Who is the TSU?
The Toronto Secondary Unit (TSU) of the Ontario English Catholic Teachers' Association serves over 2,000 people employed in the Secondary Panel of the Toronto Catholic District School Board: Classroom Teachers, Resource Staff, and Programming and Assessment Teachers.
The thirty-three secondary schools and adult learning centres of the Board represent a wide range of traditions, facilities, and programming. The extension of funding to the senior division of the Roman Catholic Separate School system in 1985 resulted in rapid growth which is now levelling out, but also has resulted in challenges for the association as we strive to meet the needs of our diverse student population and to develop as teaching professionals.
The TSU is one of the largest OECTA secondary unit, and works together with its sister unit, Toronto Elementary, in many ways. TSU has existed as a separate unit since 1965, and it has negotiated a separate collective agreement, specific to the needs of secondary schools, since 1989.
The TSU is the official voice of Catholic Secondary School teachers employed in the Toronto Catholic District School Board.
TSU Mission Statement
TSU, in cooperation with Divine grace and in solidarity with the Catholic community, serves the professional and contractual needs of its members.
Dignity of the Individual
Faith Based Community
- to be a proud community of Catholic educators
- to collectively establish and protect members' rights
- to create, maintain and broaden respectful and collegial relations with partners in Catholic Education
- to have a commitment to a strategic planning cycle
- to have established effective communications
- to be recognized and respected advocates for public Catholic Education
- to network with the broader community
- to model Christ by supporting each other as brothers and sisters
- to assist in the professional and spiritual development of our members
- to be effective Catholic advocates of social justice in the broader community
TSU Teachers' Bargaining Unit By-Laws
" We teach the love of learning "